What is the meaning of skis?
1. ( Skiing) a. one of a pair of wood, metal, or plastic runners that are used for gliding over snow. Skis are commonly attached to shoes for sport, but may also be used as landing gear for aircraft, etc.
Is ski an English word?
noun, plural skis or, sometimes, ski.
one of a pair of long, slender runners made of wood, plastic, or metal used in gliding over snow. water ski.
What is the origin of the word ski?
The word ski comes from the Old Norse word skíð, which initially meant “stick of wood.” The term became “ski” in modern Norwegian in the late 19th century, and then was adapted into English, French and German, but with different pronunciations for each.
What type of word is skiing?
noun. the act or sport of gliding on skis.
What does skiing mean sexually?
So there’s everything you ever didn’t need to know about skiing. … Skiing is essentially a series of increasingly depraved sex acts between assorted gangs of girls and guys and I’ll be sure to give them a wide berth in the future. Happy nighmares.
What does sking mean?
Filters. (rare, nonstandard) Alternative spelling of skiing. verb.
What are three types of skiing?
Most types of skiing fall into three categories: alpine, extreme—which can include tricks or backcountry terrain—and Nordic.
How do you spell skiers?
Correct spelling for the English word “skiers” is [skˈi͡əz], [skˈiəz], [s_k_ˈiə_z] (IPA phonetic alphabet).
How do you spell skied?
- skied. [ skeed ] SHOW IPA. / skid / PHONETIC RESPELLING. SEE SYNONYMS FOR skied ON THESAURUS.COM. verb. …
- skied 2 [ skahyd ] SHOW IPA. / skaɪd / PHONETIC RESPELLING. verb. …
- skied 1 / (skaɪd) / verb. the past tense and past participle of sky.
- skied 2 / (skiːd) / verb. a past tense and past participle of ski.
Are skis made of wood?
Core Materials And Construction
Most skis have a wood core made from birch, poplar, beech, fir, spruce, maple, or bamboo. … Wood is a natural material that has been used in the process of manufacturing skis since the sport was first created some 6,000 years ago.
What S is a single ski?
A monoski is a single wide ski used for skiing on snow. The same boots, bindings, and poles are used as in alpine skiing.
What does ski mean in texting?
How do you say to ski in Spanish?
ski⇒ vi. esquiar⇒ vi. Robert likes to ski and always spends his holidays in the mountains.
What is the meaning of water skiing?
verb. If you water-ski, you stand on skis in the water while being pulled along by a boat.